A Place Called Home!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Warmth of Home Wednesday - The Love Language of Soup!

A couple weeks ago my daughter called and said, Mom I am so hungry for soup.  She said, Mom remember when I was in college and you would make soup for me.  She went on to name some of her favorite soups that I had made over the years.  My heart just melted and at that very moment I would have moved heaven and earth to get her some homemade soup. 

Soup is one of my favorite foods to make.  It not only nourishes the body but the soul as well. It is a complete meal, all in one pot, and there is nothing like the aroma that fills the home when it simmers away on the stove.  A pot of homemade soup on a cold fall day is the language of love!  Bless your family with a bowl of warmth today.  The message of love will be remembered long after the soup is eaten. 
"Cream of Tomato" is one soup that I make often.  It makes a great lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich.  It is quick to make, tastes good, and will warm you up.  I am not sure where the recipe came from, I have had it for a long time.  Give it a try and see if it becomes one of your favorites today.

Cream of Tomato Soup
Combined one #2 can of diced tomatoes (approx. 2 1/2 cups)
2 slices of onion, diced fine
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each of pepper and cinnamon
a dash of cloves.
Simmer for 10 minutes while you make the white sauce.
Make white sauce by melting 2TBSP. butter, add 2TBSP. flour, stir to make paste, and add 2 cups whole or 2% milk.  Be sure to stir often so it doesn't scorch.
Slowly add the hot tomato mixture to the white sauce and your soup is ready.
This recipe makes 6 servings but it can easily be doubled.
Enjoy!

Warm and cozy blessings from my home to your!
Bev

No comments: